Total Number of Species Recorded in 2011

2010 saw a total of 196 species recorded in Bedfordshire. Of this total, LGRE recorded 183, closely followed by Jim Gurney and Steve Blain on 181, Lol Carman on 180, Martin Palmer on 179 and Bob Chalkley on 177.

In 2011, a total of 452 species was recorded in Britain and Ireland of which I recorded just 69% (312); Bedfordshire recorded 204 species (of which I saw 94% at 191), Hertfordshire 192 (of which I saw 88.5% at 170) and Buckinghamshire 192 (of which I recorded just 86% at 165)

In 2012, I came fourth (on 168), following Steve Blain (177), Jim Gurney (174) and Martin Plamer (171).



Monday 13 October 2014

LITTLE GULLS at Stewartby this evening

Having done my WeBS this morning at Brogborough (nothing of note there) I returned to Brog and Stewartby late this afternoon to see if any skuas had got as far as Bedfordshire. About a dozen Bonxies were seen to enter Cambs from the Wash this afternoon, heading SW, so I was quite hopeful.

Brogborough Lake was much as this morning with nothing of note apart from 2 Grey Wagtails heading west. Stewartby Lake, however, was a little better with a rapidly increasing gull roost containing around 40 LBB, 6 GBB and several thousand BHG which contained a 1w MEDITERRANEAN GULL. At around 6pm the first of three adult LITTLE GULLS was noted, with two more in the next few minutes. I held out for a skua but had to concede defeat as by that stage I was totally soaked through to the skin and my Cocker Spaniel, Luna, looked more like a drowned rat than a dog! 

The Little Gulls were still flying round with BHG’s when I left at 1820h - even in the failing light their crisp black underwings stood out a mile as they energetically chased up and down with the BHG’s.


Stuart Elsom

No comments:

Post a Comment