Total Number of Species Recorded in 2011

2010 saw a total of 196 species recorded in Bedfordshire. Of this total, LGRE recorded 183, closely followed by Jim Gurney and Steve Blain on 181, Lol Carman on 180, Martin Palmer on 179 and Bob Chalkley on 177.

In 2011, a total of 452 species was recorded in Britain and Ireland of which I recorded just 69% (312); Bedfordshire recorded 204 species (of which I saw 94% at 191), Hertfordshire 192 (of which I saw 88.5% at 170) and Buckinghamshire 192 (of which I recorded just 86% at 165)

In 2012, I came fourth (on 168), following Steve Blain (177), Jim Gurney (174) and Martin Plamer (171).



Tuesday 11 November 2014

FERRUGINOUS DUCK at Brogborough Lake

TUESDAY 11 NOVEMBER
Following a timely call from MJP, I made my way quickly north to BROGBOROUGH LAKE, where Stuart Elsom had earlier discovered a FERRUGINOUS DUCK during his monthly WeBS count of the site. MJP was still there when I arrived 35 minutes later and very kindly directed me straight on to the bird - isolated to the right of a throng of Aythya duck. Immediately, it was seen to be much smaller than the Pochard it was accompanying, with a characteristically peaked crown and long thin neck. It's plumage was 'ferruginous' brown throughout, albeit virtually black on the upperparts. These contrasted with the gleaming white undertail coverts, with little hint of any grey in the flanks (a typical hybrid trait). The long bill was primarily dark grey, with a slight bluish band towards the tip, while the iris was dark, indicating that the bird was either female or juvenile. I took a number of shots of it but at the distance viewed (230 yards) barely more than poor record in quality (see below). At no point did I see its wing bar nor belly but face-on, the bill was seen to be black restricted to the tip and not extending out on to the flanges - a perfect candidate in my opinion and not one of the many hybrids at large in the UK.

Whilst there, I took the opportunity to count the waterbirds present, logging the female GREATER SCAUP (image below), 172 Tufted Duck, 128 Northern Pochard, 28 Mallard, 248 Coot, 11 Great Crested Grebe, 4 Little Grebe and 7 Mute Swans







No comments:

Post a Comment