Total Number of Species Recorded in 2011

2010 saw a total of 196 species recorded in Bedfordshire. Of this total, LGRE recorded 183, closely followed by Jim Gurney and Steve Blain on 181, Lol Carman on 180, Martin Palmer on 179 and Bob Chalkley on 177.

In 2011, a total of 452 species was recorded in Britain and Ireland of which I recorded just 69% (312); Bedfordshire recorded 204 species (of which I saw 94% at 191), Hertfordshire 192 (of which I saw 88.5% at 170) and Buckinghamshire 192 (of which I recorded just 86% at 165)

In 2012, I came fourth (on 168), following Steve Blain (177), Jim Gurney (174) and Martin Plamer (171).



Saturday 27 September 2014

JOHNNY LYNCH comes up trumps again.........(First-ever Bedfordshire BARRED WARBLER)

At around 10am this morning, Johnny Lynch came upon a large Sylvia warbler on the Half Moon Slope at Blows Downs (Dunstable). To his amazement, it turned out to be Bedfordshire's first-ever BARRED WARBLER - showing well in the isolated clumps of Elderberry and Blackberry scrub on the hillside. He quickly contacted county recorder Steve Blain and Blows regulars Lol Carman and Bob Chalkley and within the hour, all three observers were connecting..... Lol then phoned me so that I could get the news out nationally.

The bird remained present on Half Moon Slope for the rest of the day, delighting just under 80 observers by dusk, including the majority of Bedfordshire's listers. I arrived mid-afternoon and spent the next three hours trying to photograph it - my results lie below -:

The slope also held at least 4 COMMON STONECHATS, 2 Lesser Whitethroats and 4 juvenile Willow Warblers, as well as over 40 Meadow Pipits and a Sparrowhawk

























No comments:

Post a Comment