Total Number of Species Recorded in 2011

2010 saw a total of 196 species recorded in Bedfordshire. Of this total, LGRE recorded 183, closely followed by Jim Gurney and Steve Blain on 181, Lol Carman on 180, Martin Palmer on 179 and Bob Chalkley on 177.

In 2011, a total of 452 species was recorded in Britain and Ireland of which I recorded just 69% (312); Bedfordshire recorded 204 species (of which I saw 94% at 191), Hertfordshire 192 (of which I saw 88.5% at 170) and Buckinghamshire 192 (of which I recorded just 86% at 165)

In 2012, I came fourth (on 168), following Steve Blain (177), Jim Gurney (174) and Martin Plamer (171).



Saturday 17 November 2012

Today's KNOT sighting at the Pillinge

Having arrived at Wetland 3 hide at just after 1100 hours, I got chatting to a couple of visiting birders (did not get names). After a few minutes they asked if I had been to the other (Pillinge) hide. I said I was on the way there next. They said they had seen a pale grey wader (dark bill and legs with dark wing tips visible), there earlier which they could not identify. My interest was immediately aroused and I made my way to the hide. After about 5 minutes I saw the head of the bird appear from behind the nearest island - pale grey with a light supercillium. It had a dark bill, about the same length as its head. It appeared to be feeding by moving quite slowly in a mainly horizontal posture probing the fringe of the lake. This was at about 1140. The bird then appeared fully to reveal a winter plumaged RED KNOT. Unfortunately the bird then vanished again behind the island. I decided to attempt further views from the watchpoint at the southern corner of the lake. Good 'scope views were had for several minutes before the bird disappeared again behind an island. I returned to wetland 3 hide to inform the visitors of what they had seen.
When I returned to the viewpoint ten minutes later the bird was still not visible (Tony Revell)

No comments:

Post a Comment