Total Number of Species Recorded in 2011

2010 saw a total of 196 species recorded in Bedfordshire. Of this total, LGRE recorded 183, closely followed by Jim Gurney and Steve Blain on 181, Lol Carman on 180, Martin Palmer on 179 and Bob Chalkley on 177.

In 2011, a total of 452 species was recorded in Britain and Ireland of which I recorded just 69% (312); Bedfordshire recorded 204 species (of which I saw 94% at 191), Hertfordshire 192 (of which I saw 88.5% at 170) and Buckinghamshire 192 (of which I recorded just 86% at 165)

In 2012, I came fourth (on 168), following Steve Blain (177), Jim Gurney (174) and Martin Plamer (171).



Friday 30 December 2011

Out in the drizzle

5.5 hours out in the field from just before10.15 this morning - well much from the car actually in the afternoon drizzle - lots of gaps but 66 species seen was a reasonable haul.

Leaving Kempston and heading down the A6, a Red Kite by Maulden Wood was my third raptor on my way to Wrest Park where alas I could not come up trumps with a Hawfinch at this old site for the species, a male Bullfinch and a Mistle Thrush were best here. 3 Corn Buntings were on the edge of Silsoe and the regular female Pintail was at Flitwick STW. Flitwick Moor was quiet but a small party of Siskin were found accompanied by a single Lesser Redpoll.

Lots of finches in suitable locations along my route but only a single Linnet, a few Yellowhammers and Greenfinches were surprisingly commonplace. Boughton End had 58+ Stock Doves in one flock.

The female Scaup was at Brogboro' Lake still along with 25 Goldeneye, 327 Pochard and 358 Tufted Ducks. Marston MVP had 3 Shoveler - my tenth duck sp of the day, and plenty of L T tits but no Cetti's Warbler gave itself up. I couldn't even find a Reed Bunting.

The Gt Northern Diver was still at Stewartby Lake mid afternoon and a Peregrine was sat on its box at Stewartby Brickworks. Quest was fairly devoid of birds tho' my only P Wagtail of the day was found here. A Short-eared Owl was at a regular site but there was nought much showing at either Chimney Corner South or North CLP's and no Mandarin at Kempston Mill (M J Palmer)

No comments:

Post a Comment