Total Number of Species Recorded in 2011

2010 saw a total of 196 species recorded in Bedfordshire. Of this total, LGRE recorded 183, closely followed by Jim Gurney and Steve Blain on 181, Lol Carman on 180, Martin Palmer on 179 and Bob Chalkley on 177.

In 2011, a total of 452 species was recorded in Britain and Ireland of which I recorded just 69% (312); Bedfordshire recorded 204 species (of which I saw 94% at 191), Hertfordshire 192 (of which I saw 88.5% at 170) and Buckinghamshire 192 (of which I recorded just 86% at 165)

In 2012, I came fourth (on 168), following Steve Blain (177), Jim Gurney (174) and Martin Plamer (171).



Wednesday 26 October 2011

I sipped again on the Holcot Hen Harrier

Dave Odell 'phoned me early afternoon to say that the ringtail Hen Harrier was flying above his car over the road at the west end of Cranfield Aerodrome (at SP 946 415) - about a mile north of where Neil Wright had first discovered the bird at Holcot Wood.. I was watching a Pied Wheatear at the time but decided to give it another go later in the afternoon.

I arrived at Cranfield Aerodrome at about 1500 hours and remained in the area until dusk, checking out both the east and west suitable ends of the airfield, all of the farmland between there and Holcot Wood and the 'new' Brogborough forest reclamation project as well as back at the original site. No luck whatsoever - just Common Buzzards, Common Kestrels, Common Pheasants, lots of corvids and 25 Lapwings

The OSPREY was still present today in the Biggleswade area, fishing at the Manor Farm Fisheries east of the A1 (Mark Ward) and roosting up at The Lodge again

No comments:

Post a Comment