Total Number of Species Recorded in 2011

2010 saw a total of 196 species recorded in Bedfordshire. Of this total, LGRE recorded 183, closely followed by Jim Gurney and Steve Blain on 181, Lol Carman on 180, Martin Palmer on 179 and Bob Chalkley on 177.

In 2011, a total of 452 species was recorded in Britain and Ireland of which I recorded just 69% (312); Bedfordshire recorded 204 species (of which I saw 94% at 191), Hertfordshire 192 (of which I saw 88.5% at 170) and Buckinghamshire 192 (of which I recorded just 86% at 165)

In 2012, I came fourth (on 168), following Steve Blain (177), Jim Gurney (174) and Martin Plamer (171).



Sunday 25 September 2011

Apparent AZOREAN ATLANTIC GULL roosts again

I arrived at the Stewartby Lake gull watchpoint at c6.20pm, to join a couple visiting en route from Sussex to Doncaster. SCB also arrived just a few minutes after I did. But it was a much disturbed roost this evening due to a water-skiing combo regularly passing along the south-west and south-east shores, i.e. away from their usual route, and disturbing the gulls by their proximity and their bow waves.There was no show by yesterday's adult Caspian Gull but I did count 27+ Herring Gulls and 22+ Yellow-legged Gulls before the other three left c7.10pm. I started clicker-counting Lesser Black-backs in the gathering gloom and was very pleased to discover the adult AZOREAN GULL had come into the roost again, giving clear views at the front centre of the roost. I immediately rang RBA to put the news on the pagers just in case any of the trio could return but they didn't. Before I left, around 7.25, I concluded my count of L B Backs reaching just over 1,500. There were only a few Great Black-backs and a single Common Gull but a good few B H Gulls were also on view this evening (MJP)

No comments:

Post a Comment